Argan Oil - Liquid Miracle in a bottle!!
Argan Oil all you need to know...
Any of my regular clients will know that I LOVE LOVE LOVE this little bottle of oil, it really is a wonder product and I often say that if I were to be stranded on a desert island that this would be the one luxury product I would have...!
So what' so wonderful about this miracle oil I hear you cry!!...Well the benefits to your hair are endless!
Argan oil comes from the fruit of the native Argan tree in Morocco. The fruit is so nutritious that goats climb the trees just to eat them (strange but true!!). Inside of that fruit is the little nut from which Argan oil is produced. What makes the oil so beneficial, is that it’s rich with vitamins A, C and E, as well as being loaded with antioxidants, linoleic acid and omega-6 fatty acids. When the oil applied externally, it can help boost cell production which results in healthier skin and hair – this is why you will have noticed Argan oil suddenly cropping up in loads of the high street hair care and skin products.
the top 6 benefits of Argan Oil...
• WINTER HAIR.. Argan oil reduces Static… Hair gets full of static in the wintertime due to lack of moisture in the air. Moisture is conducive for volume,movement and curl. In addition, the heat from your heavy winter clothing and such as scarves, wooly collars and jackets will cause fly-away strands. Adding argan oil will moisturise and nourish the hair calming frizz and dry ends.
• Treats dry hair, split ends etc.. Argan oil can be used as a leave-in conditioner, to help prevent frizz and flyaways, while also working to repair split ends.
• Treating Hair Loss…. Multiple studies on the oil’s effect on hair re-growth have found that it can stimulate the scalp due to its rich nutrient content to produce more hair. Other research has indicated that it helps hair grow faster in a shorter period of time. One particular study out of South Korea found that 44% of participants experienced “clear hair regrowth” with Argan oil treatment – as good as the drug minoxidil, but without the potentially harmful side effects.
• Define Curls.. For those with curls, Argan oil can help with manageability, and help define those curls for a more beautiful look. Just apply a few drops to the palm of your hand. Run your hand through your hair, focusing on the ends and layers. Next, put your hair in a microfiber towel and squeeze it gently without rubbing. Repeat, working from tips to roots each time. Your curls will not only be more defined, but they’ll be more manageable and stronger.
• UV protection… Heading out to warmer climate for some sun & sea?...don't forget to pack this little miracle oil as it protects your hair against UV rays, this will prevent colour loss and stop your precious locks from becoming fried in that Mediterranean sun!
• Protect Hair from heat of hair dryer and straighteners.. Unlike other products which can contain harsh chemicals within, Argan oil enriches the hair, nourishing it with nutrients and repairing damage.
Pitfalls to avoid in using Argan oil ...
Ok, so you're convinced this oil is for you and you're ready to spend your hard earned cash, what next?
I cannot tell you how many times someone says to me that they bought a bottle containing argan oil but they felt their hair was greasy afterwards or they really didn't notice any difference to their hair! After a bit of quizzing it transpires that they bought a litre sized bottle of a blended oil for £2.99 from a bargain basement shop and yes it contained 'some' argan oil but the majority of what was in that bottle was a cheaper carrier oil ...NOT good! You really do get what you pay for in life and if the bargain seems just that little bit too good.....well you know the rest!
Most reputable argan oil brands tend to be around the £20-25 mark, the brand that I use at 'The Sccret Salon' and styling hair for brides around the Cotswolds is Argan Secret, it retails at £18.50 for a 60ml bottle so it's the perfect size to pop in your handbag for top ups during the day or carry on bags on a flight!
How to use argan oil...
The most important part of your haircare regime should be to use GOOD quality shampoo and conditioner to gently cleanse and moisturise the hair (check out the Maria Nila product range that is stocked at 'The Secret Salon')...Once you have gently squeezed your hair dry in a soft microfibre towel, use a wide tooth comb to detangle and then apply 2-3 pumps worth of the oil to your palms. Rub the palm together then smooth hands through the hair from midlengths (about an inch away from scalp) through to the ends, generally I suggest not applying it to the root area, particularly if you suffer with greasy hair.
One of the benefits of argan oil is to speed up the drying process and to protect against the heat of the dryer and straighteners so it's essential that you pop it onto WET hair but you can also use it once you've dried and styled your hair too as a final boost.
So there you have it, your new best hair care friend, start using it now and your hair will be in top condition before you know it and perfect for your summer holidays!!